I LOVE MY DAD Film Review August 5, 2022 Eclectic Arts

I LOVE MY DAD

Magnolia Pictures
Reviewed: 8/5/2022
Rating: 4.5 / 5

Opens (locally) at the SIFF UpTown on August 5th!

(Magnolia Pictures)


The new film, “I Love My Dad” is a complex yet, at its core, simple film. An estranged father (Patton Oswalt) goes to great lengths to become a part of his son's life (played by writer/director James Morosini) by catfishing his own son.


I won’t say any more than that.


The issues this brings up has been seen before (pretending to be someone you’re not then when the truth comes out everything either crumbles or has an eventual happy ending) but director James Morosini does such a fine job showing the complexities of the relationship. The whys are very easy to understand for all of the characters involved.



(Patton Oswalt and James Morosini in I LOVE MY DAD, a Magnolia Pictures release. Photo courtesy of Magnolia Pictures.)


If you’ve ever spent any time back in the day in chat rooms or presently in any sort of social media group, you can probably relate to some aspects of what Patton Oswalt’s character goes through pretending to be someone else - just to engage his son.


The film is humorous, dramatic, and topical all at the same time. “I Love My Dad” is more than meets the eye.


Recommended.


Best,
Mark Sugiyama
Eclectic Arts

Connect with Eclectic Arts:  Social Media Links Here

OFFICIAL TRAILER

Comments

Popular Posts