HAMILTON Event Review August 4th, 2022 Eclectic Arts

HAMILTON

Lin Manuel-Miranda - Book, Music, and Lyrics
Thomas Kail - Director

Premera Blue Cross Broadway At The Paramount
Seattle, WA

Review: Thursday August 4, 2022

(HAMILTON And Peggy National Tour - Company4 - Photo by Joan Marcus)


The hottest ticket in town four years ago, “Hamilton” strutted into the Paramount Theatre this week with another triumphant wave of massive anticipation and sheer giddiness based on the energy outside the theatre on Thursday evening.


Having never seen any performance (live or television), I purposely tried to go into the show as fresh as possible. Of course I knew about the hype around the show and I heard general opinions about it from many people. My goal was to review the show as someone that was as new to the concept as humanly possible.


My initial impression after the curtain call? It was as good as it gets.


As an artistic person, I was just floored by how much was packed into the show. From the still images, the songs (both rapped and sung), the performances, the lighting design, the historical story, it just never let up. There was so much to take in for a first timer that it could easily be overwhelming. But I found it inspiring and it really made me wonder just how the heck did Lin Manuel-Miranda come up with this wonderful musical?


If you’ve already seen a performance (live or on your television), then you already know more than I probably do. If you’re on the fence or are curious about this show, then read on.


I had heard about the rapping aspect of the show. I am happy to report that if this is an issue for you, the entire show is not rapped. Yes, it plays an integral part but there is plenty of singing, speaking, and other assorted forms of communication.


The way the story expertly weaves so many elements together was absolutely mind boggling. Even right now as I type this review, I’m still in awe of all the details that were presented throughout the show.


The performances worked so well together that I felt like a very steady hand was steering this ship. It was damn near flawless.


Every aspect of the show worked - clearly as it has millions of fans around the world. If I was forced to nitpick anything it would be the staging. I’m always looking for transitions and set changes in any musical. This show didn’t change up its set much but it really wasn’t as distracting as other musicals I’ve reviewed.


“Hamilton” is definitely the type of show where repeated viewings are part of the journey. Like a good film, everytime you watch it, you uncover something you missed the previous time.


The best thing I could possibly say about this musical is:


I’ve never seen anything like “Hamilton”. It’s that good!


“Hamilton” runs through Sunday September 11th. Tickets are available here:  TICKETS!


Best,
Mark Sugiyama
Eclectic Arts

Connect with Eclectic Arts:  Social Media Links Here





Comments

Popular Posts