Broadway at The Paramount "COMPANY" July 23 - July 28, 2024 Review

COMPANY

Book by: George Furth
Music and Lyrics by: Stephen Sondheim
Directed by: Marianne Elliott

Premera Blue Cross Broadway At The Paramount
Seattle, WA

Review: Tuesday July 23, 2024


(Britney Coleman as Bobbie in the North American Tour of COMPANY.
Photo by Matthew Murphy for MurphyMade.)


I went into the opening night of the new revival musical, “Company”, with minimal expectations. I had done a bit of homework prior to the performance but, per usual, I didn’t want to know too much going in, preferring to take the musical for what was presented to the patrons at the Paramount Theatre.


The show centers around Bobbie (Britney Coleman) turning 35 and where her life is and the friends she surrounds herself with. Couples (both straight and gay) ponder why she isn’t with a “fella” yet. That’s an overly simple description of the story.  The revival changed the gender of Bobbie from male in the original to female now.


Much like any musical I attend, I am looking for something to connect with, either the story matter or a character or a performance. Unfortunately, with “Company”, I just didn’t find any of the above.


The singing and the acting were what you would expect for a national touring show. Having said that, I didn’t find the lead singing to be pleasurable. That’s not a knock on the performer's abilities, it's more a matter of personal taste I suppose.


I did enjoy the opening number for the second act. I also liked how they presented Bobbie’s look into her potential future with each of her friends' scenarios also in the second act.


(Britney Coleman as Bobbie (center) and the North American Tour of COMPANY.
Photo by Matthew Murphy for MurphyMade.)


The stage design was fairly basic with nothing really to write home about.  It was sufficient and got the job done but there was no wow factor with any of the design elements.


The songs weren’t memorable in my opinion which was surprising considering the legendary man who wrote them. There were hooks aplenty and a few of the songs in the second act were a cut above the others but, again, nothing that made me want to check out the song after the show was over.


“Company” just didn’t connect with me. Perhaps it will connect with you. If it does or doesn’t, I would love to hear your feedback.


Check out a performance and formulate your own opinion.


“Company” runs through Sunday July 28th. Purchase tickets:  HERE!


Best,
Mark Sugiyama
Eclectic Arts Media

Connect with Eclectic Arts Media:  Social Media Links and Email

Comments

Popular Posts