INTO THE WOODS The Fifth Avenue Theatre Seattle, WA February 17, 2023 Eclectic Arts Media

INTO THE WOODS
Book by James Lapine
Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
Directed by Bill Berry

The Fifth Avenue Theatre
Seattle, WA

February 17, 2023 Evening Performance

#intothewoods
#thefifthavenuetheatre

(The cast of Into the Woods at The 5th Avenue Theatre.
Photo Credit: Mark Kitaoka)


I was really looking forward to seeing “Into The Woods” for the very first time (this includes any other productions on stage as well as the film).


Opening night there was certainly a buzz around The Fifth Avenue Theatre. For a classic show like this that is beloved by many, the anticipation only grew as curtain time drew near.


For someone unfamiliar with the musical like myself, I had nothing to compare it to. Please keep that in mind when reading my review.


I recognized many members of the cast which was wonderful. Having seen at least half of the performers in other shows, I knew what level of talent was on the stage.


Act I was about introducing the fairytale characters such as Jack, Rapnuzel, Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, etc. into the storyline. The black humor was a noticeable addition (when in reality the original fairy tales are rather grim - ahem). The songs were classic to some patrons but only okie to this reviewer. I probably need to hear them again to truly appreciate them but upon first listen, I wasn’t left humming any of them.



(Porscha Shaw, Mari Nelson, Eric Ankrim, and Cayman Ilika in Into the Woods at The 5th Avenue Theatre.
Photo Credit: Tracy Martin)


Act II was sort of strange to me. The songs stood out more to these ears but the story itself was almost like an afterthought. Like an epilogue of sorts. It just seemed Act I was wrapped up to a certain extent so Act II was like an addition instead of a continuation.


The staging was something I was surprised by. I suppose I had imagined a lush, spooky, forest of some kind as a stage instead of the creative use of scaffolding step ladders to represent the forest and the kingdom. The jury’s still out about the staging as far as I’m concerned. I’d love to know what others who have seen other productions of the musical thought and have something to compare it to.


The performances were what saved the musical for me. Top notch singing, acting, and comedic timing from every performer. And I mean every performer. From the angelic Miranda Antionette’s voice (what I would give to hear her sing with a symphonic metal band ala Nightwish) to Cayman Ilika (another favorite voice of mine) and Sarah Russell bringing Cinderella to life, the performers really nailed their parts.


Overall, “Into The Woods” is going to bring a built-in audience to the theatre. For first timers like myself, I can recommend the show but with some reservations. Go see for yourself and let me know your thoughts.


Best,
Mark Sugiyama
Eclectic Arts Media

Connect with Eclectic Arts Media:  Social Media Links Here

“Into The Woods” runs through March 5th. Purchase tickets here:  TICKETS!

Comments

Popular Posts