LITTLE MISS NASTY - The Interview! Conducted on April 28, 2023 in Seattle, WA on the Sex Metal Circus Tour 2023!

LITTLE MISS NASTY IN-PERSON INTERVIEW
(Transcribed from audio file)
April 28, 2023
Seattle, WA


Greetings,


I had the absolute pleasure of sitting down with Gina, Sativa, and Kyla before their performance in Seattle, WA to discuss all things Little Miss Nasty. It was great to finally meet Gina in person and to be introduced to Kyla and Sativa (and Tessa but she didn’t sit in on the interview).


Thank you again and I can’t wait to see you all again (hopefully) soon!


Much love,
Mark
Eclectic Arts Media

(post show photo taken by Marc Jordan)


Mark (Eclectic Arts Media)

Hi Gina. So, let’s talk about Little Miss Nasty in 2023. You just put out a question on social media trying to figure out what is the new description of Little Miss Nasty. So what are you coming up with or what did the fans come up with so far?


Gina (Little Miss Nasty)

It's been so hard to categorize us into anything, really, because our show has evolved into something way deeper and more eccentric than just rock and roll burlesque. So much of our music now has led into this dark trap EDM, industrial, heavy metal vibes. It's not just rock and roll like back in the day when we first started. So now we're confusing people because they think they're coming to see a rock and roll burlesque show, and we're out there going in on all this dark performance art and trippy ass songs that come from Russian artists or random shit you would never hear anywhere besides my playlist.


So some of the fans who have currently been at our show, it's probably over the last year, some of the things they’re saying is head banging, heart pumping, heavy metal cabaret, or undying art, or zero-fucks-given art makers, or dark, seductive, and bad ass. Some people are also saying, yes, it's performance art and innovative, but we still cover various genres of rock and other music.


Basically, our goal is to not even classify into anything and just be Little Miss Nasty and have people understand what that is. I think, personally, it's dark performance art where we express all sides of humanity, really. The feminine side of being a woman and the masculine side of being a woman and the animalistic side of being a fucking human and just having that power mixed with sensuality, sexuality, all the above. We're basically showing the women you can be everything you want to be and not conform to society's idea of you being polite and quiet and pretty and sitting in the corner with your little skirt on. We want you to be a barbaric fucking beast and live in all of your glory.


Mark - EAM

Well, because also, Little Miss Nasty is getting to a point where the umbrella is getting so wide that there's going to be so different, so many facets to it. It's just expanding and growing and there's more and more layers to it. So that becomes even more difficult to actually try to pigeonhole what it is because you can't really pigeonhole it at all. But that actually brings me to another question. Do you feel the name Little Miss Nasty - is that limiting as well?


Gina - LMN

I don't know because nasty... I mean, Little Miss Nasty, people are like, “Oh, cute female”. But nasty to me describes so many other things than what you would like, nasty, sexy, or whatever you apply it to in your mind. For us, nasty is everything powerful. I'm like, “That's so nasty. That's so cool. That's so big. That's so amazing and epic and badass”. So our definition of nasty is a wide range. And so you just have to use your imagination and apply it to what you see and hear from us. And that's what nasty is.


Mark - EAM

Well, and let me ask both of you, have you been on tour with anyone else besides Little Miss Nasty? Or is this your first time being on the road doing this show?


Kyla - LMN

I've done only tours with Little Miss Nasty.


Mark - EAM

Okay. And does it become a bit of a grind like it is for bands where you love the high of being on stage and performing in front of people, but then the travel and the early call times and those things get to you at all?.


Kyla - LMN

I think, honestly, I think that it's just a part of the experience. It makes the adrenaline higher and I feel like, yeah, it can be stressful being on the road all the time, but it's exciting and it's something to look forward to every day. Waking up in a new city every day is so cool. I just feel like it's an amazing experience to learn so much about yourself. I feel like traveling is actually what makes the shows even cooler.


Gina - LMN

Because by traveling, being here 24/7 with each other, we get to know each other better and we become even closer. When we get to the stage, then we even kill it even more. It's a bonding experience. It's really cool.


Sativa - LMN

And travel and just see the world.


Gina - LMN

She's from Russia. We're taking her around the States. We're getting her to experience all of the USA.


Mark - EAM

You have Gina and the Eastern Block songs and then you also have Little Miss Nasty songs as well. Are you looking at songs that you can picture, like choreography, and that becomes a Little Miss Nasty tune versus a Gina song? How do you figure out which goes with which?


Gina - LMN

Well, lately I've been writing Gina and the Eastern Block songs strictly with performance in mind, but for my own performance. Just something I would want to perform on stage. But because Little Miss Nasty is my baby and so is Gina and the Eastern Block, it is the same personality and vibe throughout my projects. So we could easily apply Gina and the Eastern Block songs to Little Miss Nasty because it's coming from the same soul, basically. For Little Miss Nasty, we've been recording a whole bunch of new songs. We basically have an EP ready to go, but we're still going to drop singles. And we’re performing a new song tonight that's not released, never been heard, except for a few of our shows the past couple of nights. And it's super fucking sexy. And we have a whole performance to it, you'll see, Mark. But we do want to keep it in mind sometimes. Some are just songs to be heard, but then some are definitely created to have a performance to back it. It's like it's half and a half.


Mark - EAM

Does that mean that, Gina, when you're looking for people that are going to be a part of Little Miss Nasty, that they need to be able to carry a tune?


Gina - LMN

Lately, yes. And so we've been super blessed. Sativa, our beautiful Russian supermodel. She is, first and foremost, an artist and has her whole solo project and she just slays the vocals. And so we're so lucky she's in here singing on our songs and writing in the studio with us. And Kyla has an amazing voice. She's on our cover of, “Freak on a Leash” - she’s all over the hook. Tessa has an angelic voice. She's featured on this new song you'll see tonight. We've all been collaborating in the studio and we've come up with probably 4 to 5 songs together.


Mark - EAM

It’s going to be awesome for me because I haven't seen this version where you're doing songs and singing and everything else because I saw you in 2019 when it was the old school version of what Little Miss Nasty was. Obviously, “Hungry” came out and we did the live stream about it in 2021, and everything just blew up from there with all these other branches of Little Miss Nasty, which is awesome.


Gina - LMN

You're going to be impressed because not only has our show and production evolved into something way bigger, and we're basically bringing our Vegas style show around on these tours now, including our LED wall with all the visuals, more props, more performance. It’s a longer epic headlining show, including a whole medley of us singing. So it's new and in your face. You're going to love it!


Mark - EAM

With my media coverage background in opera, ballet, theatre, musicals, all the other stuff that I cover, this is right up my alley that you're expanding into these other realms. So, for me personally, I'm going to love it.


Gina - LMN

You are actually going to love it because we have some operatic stuff going on as well. A lot of our intros are very triumphant and these wicked.. (voice trails off) You'll see, Mark. It's very beautiful and ceremonial.


Mark - EAM

(I got on the topic of LMN being professional dancers) These are professional dancers here, and it's a lot of fucking work to actually put the show together, all the dance routines, and such.


Gina - LMN

People don't understand how hard we work to put this show on. And it is so athletic, gymnastic, creative, artistic. You have to dig into your emotions and portray all these different characters throughout the show. And it's not just a basic ass bitch dance show. We are true artists, and all the girls go out there and shine in their own ways. But I do hear a lot of people who come to the shows say, Oh, my gosh. Videos do not do this justice. Your Instagram does not do this justice. This is the real deal. Once they fully experience it in the flesh, then they're completely blown away and become a fan for life.


On our Instagram and our YouTube analytics show that we are heavier on women who are into Little Miss Nasty. It's like 80% on YouTube is a female demographic watching our shit. You see the audiences. We do a whole bunch of girls nights around the country for the queer community. It's just like females through and through. Men love it, too, obviously. Everyone walks away from Little Miss Nasty feeling more powerful and fired up.  (I can attest to this 100% - Mark/EAM)


Mark - EAM

Ladies (Kyla and Sativa), what about your professional dance backgrounds? How many years of dance? Has it been, just like in Gina's case, years and years and years of training when you started?


Kyla - LMN

I started dancing when I was nine and I've been dancing ever since. I worked in LA for quite a few years just with artists and commercial projects. But I also create myself, I choreograph myself, and I have very big creative and expressive ideas. Gina and I found each other and it's been glue ever since. She gives me some freedom to express myself in the show and the world. It's been a dream.


Gina - LMN

Now Kyla is a co-choreographer in this show. Two of the numbers are strictly her choreography. You'll see tonight - you're going to be blown away by it. And she's featured in both of them, so you'll know, Mark. And they stand out because they're different from the rest of the show. But she just recently moved to New York, and she's killing it out there, teaching classes at the hottest studio. Her class is blowing up. Her brand is called Expressive Movement. When you see her perform, you'll know why. It's very unique and powerful.


Sativa - LMN

I am from Russia. I started dancing when I was a little baby, but I used to do gymnastics and I used to do Russian folk dancing. It’s completely different from everything that we do in the show. But I was always singing. That was my main goal, my main passion. But dance was something I always loved doing, too. When I moved to the States when I was 19 years old, I started taking different classes, doing some heel dancing, and took some ballet classes. I definitely grew in dance since I moved here. At some point, Gina found me on TikTok. She reached out to me and I came to the show and I was blown away by all the performers and by the vision and by just everything about the show. So, of course, I was so excited to do it. And since then, it's only been a year, but it feels so much longer.


Kyla - LMN

I know. It doesn't feel like a year. It's only been a year, but it's been amazing. We had such a great journey all together. We've done a couple of tours and performed a lot. So I'm very grateful for the support. And Sativa and I are absolutely best friends. We found each other through the show and she's like my soul sister.


Gina - LMN

I know - that's a crazy story about how I found her on TikTok. I was scrolling through and she rolls by and I'm like, “damn, she's hot.” And she was doing a little TikTok dance. It's nothing big. And I was like, “wait, she dances?” And I was like, “let me go check this out.” So I went to her Instagram and she was in a dance class and I was like, “okay, so she dances. She's in LA. Let me get her to the fucking show.” Then she showed up to a show and I had to go look at her face up close and make sure it was all that (because Instagram can be deceiving). And I was like, “okay, she's beautiful.” So I asked her, “Do you want to do it?” And she's like, “okay” . And I was like, “let's go, bitch.”


Kyla - LMN

Gina was asking me for four years to be in the show. I was like, it's finally time, but I wasn't ready for it back then. It would have been different.


Gina - LMN

I'm so excited for you to see them perform!


Mark - EAM

Is there anything that you would want to see expand like some aspect of the show or some part of what Little Miss Nasty does? Or something you want to see go away?


Kyla - LMN

I think the only thing is I don't like this stigma that it's just only about hot girls. It's so empowering. And some people look at the show like it's just about these hot girls. And I really just want that to be the only thing that is separated because we're so much more than that. We're all so creative. We're all so powerful. And that's why Gina hires us is because she sees that in us. And we're so much more than hot women. And I don't like when people just look at it like we're just hot. We're way more than that. But I think the show is growing so beautifully and expanding in so many beautiful ways. I don't think there are any negatives to it, really.


Gina - LMN

It's partially my fault because on social media, I'm like, sex sells, put the sexy shot up, get the likes, get the views, get the shares. So, it's very much I use that angle to spread the word online and social media just to get those numbers up. But once people experience the show, maybe the sexiness draws them to the show, but then they see it and they're like, “wow, this is mind blowing. I love it. You guys are fucking bad ass. How powerful!” So, I think just more exposure where people can see the true us. Maybe it's like a TV show or some giant fucking in your face thing where they don't have to be at the show just to know what we truly are.


Mark - EAM

Dance, music, animation, and other mediums, I think helps give a broader perspective of what Little Miss Nasty is.


Gina - LMN

Absolutely.  Since we have these new songs, it was hard to include it into our show because our show was so much like metal, dark art, etc. Then some of our songs are more like pop and they're still dark here and there. It would be pop, sexy, and R&B-ish. It was two different worlds trying to collide together. At first I was unsure of how to make it all work together in one performance. I think my goal is to include more music down the line into our performance shows. Starting with this tour this is really our first go at it where we have a 10 minute medley of our music starting off. You'll see us transitioning more to that in the future.


Mark - EAM

To wrap this up, you spoke to it a little bit, but what are we looking at in the future in the next, say, year or so? Where's Little Miss Nasty headed?


Gina - LMN

We just launched a New York residency. We are extending our Las Vegas residency, so we will be in New York once a month and Las Vegas once a month, still killing it in LA and Long Beach. We're going to be busy with shows. We predict another tour this fall. We're dropping song after song, putting a lot of attention on the music video and pushing each one heavily instead of just throwing shit at the wall. We really want to make Little Miss Nasty a household name. We want to get over to Europe. And so that's in the works. We're spreading a Little Nastiness around the world. That's the goal.


Mark - EAM

It's a great goal. It really is. Well, thank you, Gina and Kyla and Sativa for taking the time today. I appreciate it so much and I can’t wait for the performance tonight!


Gina - LMN

Of course, Mark. Any time. Love you!



Connect with Eclectic Arts Media:  Social Media Links Here


Want to know what I thought of the show now that you've read this pre-show interview?  Check out my review (w/photos):  HERE!

Comments

Popular Posts