THE WIZ The Fifth Avenue Theatre November 30, 2022 Eclectic Arts Media

THE WIZ

Book by William F. Brown
Music and Lyrics by Charlie Smalls
Music Directed by S. Renee Clark
Directed and Choreographed by Kelli Foster Warder

The Fifth Avenue Theatre
Seattle, WA

November 30, 2022 Evening Performance

(The cast of The Wiz - Photo Credit: Mark Kitaoka)



Before I write anything else - GO SEE THIS SHOW! Okay, now that I have that firmly planted in your head, please read on.


“The Wiz” was one of the most entertaining musicals I’ve seen in a very long time (pre and post pandemic). I was just stunned by, well, everything. The show hits the ground running and really never lets up. It flows seamlessly from one scene to the next, introducing new characters, set changes, costumes, and songs. By the time the show paused for the intermission, my plus one and I stared at each other and said the same thing: this is a must see show!


Some of the cast I was already familiar with from other shows that I enjoyed: Nate Tenenbaum, Be Russell, and Sarah Russell to name a few. All of the cast members were just amazing. The comedic timing, the singing, the dancing (including tap numbers), it was just jaw droppingly good.



(Nehemiah Hooks as Scarecrow, Kataka Corn as Dorothy, and the cast of The Wiz
Photo Credit: Mark Kitaoka)



It is very rare when there isn’t something that could be improved upon when I’m reviewing a show. It’s just the nature of being a reviewer. But this show is damn near perfect. When it was over I was already thinking about who else would love to see this (and I have plans to get back to the 5th before it closes). Yes, it’s that good.


You don’t have to know the MJ/Diana Ross version. You can go in cold and walk out humming, “Ease On Down The Road”. The care and artistic vision from all involved really shows in this production. It’s also worth noting that the Fifth Avenue Theatre is putting words into action when it comes to the movement toward racial and gender equity among theatre productions.


I can’t type enough good things about this show. Get online, pick a day, buy some tickets, and get ready for one heck of an entertaining time!


Highest recommendation I can possibly give!


Best,
Mark Sugiyama
Eclectic Arts Media

Connect with Eclectic Arts Media:  Social Media Links Here

“The Wiz” runs through December 23rd. Purchase tickets here:  TICKETS!

Comments

Popular Posts