CANNIBAL CORPSE Seattle, WA March 7, 2022


CANNIBAL CORPSE
Whitechapel
Revocation
Shadow Of Intent

Showbox At The Market
Seattle, WA
Monday March 7, 2022





Metal has been and always will be my foundation. No matter what artistic areas Eclectic Arts explores in the future, metal will always be home to me.


I have purposely stayed away from general admission shows for many reasons until it felt right to return. Well, it felt right when I heard Cannibal Corpse was returning to Seattle to promote their newest album, “Violence Unimagined”. Back into the (photo) pit. It had been over two years since my last photo pit experience due to you know what.


The sold-out show kicked off with Shadow Of Intent. The four piece bludgeoned the audience with their brand of death metal. The mosh pit started, the bodies surfed, and all was right again in my world.


Revocation hit the stage and played some incredible technical death metal that went over very well with the crowd. The intensity increased and the band just killed their set. Having never seen them live before I am now a fan. Great, great stuff!


I have to admit I’ve only heard the name Whitechapel for quite a few years but I couldn’t tell you one of their songs. But, I knew they had a dedicated fan base and I was intrigued to finally see and hear them. They went with the light show, back lighting them, and the six piece got the crowd into even more of a frenzy. High energy and just intense, I can see why so many people like Whitechapel. By the time their set was done, everyone was as pumped up as humanly possible.


I saw Cannibal Corpse for the first time in 2002. I was late to their death metal party. I’ve since seen them seven additional times. It wasn’t lost on me that here it was twenty years later and they’re more popular now than they’ve ever been.


There’s something to be said for consistency. When you know a band is going to be a certain way when you go to their show, it makes all the difference in the world. No one wants to go to a show (which is always an event for the music fan) only to see a poor performance one tour, and a good performance the next. You go because you know the band is going to deliver what you paid your money for. Cannibal Corpse is one such band. I think there were more under 21 fans than over 21 at the sold out show. That’s a major feat for a band that’s been around since the late 80’s.


The band walked on the stage, a few tune ups, and then raged with the opener, “The Time to Kill is Now”. Just like every other Cannibal show I’ve attended, things just never let up during their sets. The pit is constant, the body surfers are plentiful, and everyone has a great fucking time.


Cannibal is to the point (and has been for awhile now) where they have to pick only one song (or maybe two) from every album. They just have too many albums in their discography. This tour’s setlist covered basically every era of the band. I liked hearing “Unleashing The Bloodthirsty” again as it's always been one of my favorite tunes. And that fucking riff in the middle of “Inhumane Harvest” was just massive live. I talked to Rob Barrett about that riff over a year ago when I interviewed him (he wrote the music for that tune).


Of course the already crazy pit went into death metal overdrive for “Hammer Smashed Face”. The sold out Showbox in Seattle went nuts and good violent fun was had by all.


For my first metal show back since the pandemic, I’m grateful that it was Cannibal Corpse. They welcomed me back with a kick to the gut that I sorely missed the last two years.


Respect the neck!


Best,
Mark Sugiyama
Eclectic Arts

Connect with Eclectic Arts:  Social Media Links Here







(All Photos by Mark Sugiyama for Eclectic Arts (c) 2022)








Rob Barrett Audio Interview from 2021
















(All Photos by Mark Sugiyama for Eclectic Arts (c) 2022)

Comments

Popular Posts