THE SOAPGIRLS "SUDS OVER SEATTLE" Live Report from Seattle, WA on July 25, 2026
SUDS OVER SEATTLE
The SoapGirls
Funhouse Seattle
Seattle, WA
July 25, 2026
I arrived at the venue around 7:30pm or so. I saw Mie but she was talking with two fans at the merch table so I then poked my head into the green room (I’ve covered many shows at this venue). Millie saw me and, her bruised ribs be damned, she hugged me as hard as she possibly could. We talked and it’s always super cool yet surreal anytime I meet a guest in person after having done virtual interviews with them. It’s like we know each other but we kinda don’t. It was great to meet her, and then Sam, and then Mie in the green room. I guess the best way to describe it is if you’re a fan of an actor that you’ve seen in many movies, and then - boom - there they are standing in front of you. The only difference is the actor knows you as well. A full circle moment for sure for all of us. Now, if we ever do a future livestream interview - we can talk about things that happened first hand here in Seattle (and beyond on this current US tour).
I spoke with Sam a bit outside the venue a few times as I was getting air out there more often than staying inside the club during the openers sets (nothing personal opening bands). There was also a show going on next door (there are two stages where they played) so I was bopping over there to check out those bands as well. I actually ran into a Cancerslug friend that I hadn’t seen in four years over on the other side. It gave me a chance to talk up the SoapGirls as she wasn’t familiar with them.
The band came on after 10:15pm and had a cut off at 11:30pm (or so).
I told Millie and Sam this - what struck me about the gig last Saturday was just how heavy the band sounds on certain songs. I’ve been going to shows since I was 9 years old so I know the difference between a live show and any other way of watching/listening to a band. I knew the energy would be there, the Suds in Seattle definitely helped with that. I knew Millie would be doing her backbends, Mie would be jumping up and down as she played her guitar, and we were fortunate that we got a great drummer in Jacob as well.
The musicianship really came through in the live setting, particularly Millie’s bass and the harmonized vocals from both Millie and Mie. They’ve been doing this for a long time now, both live concerts and livestream performances. Bands that constantly play live only get better with every performance and the SoapGirls showed that they are road queens. And, as I mentioned, Jacob was a great drummer - both as a musician and as a person. The band all said how happy they were with him to me on separate occasions but unfortunately he had another obligation so Seattle was his last gig with the band on this tour.
They have an infectious quality to them and I’ve known this without having seen them live before. Their personalities, their humor, and their outlook on life is something I related to from the first conversation we ever had. In the live setting it was the same yet also different in some ways.
They are a band to be reckoned with live. They make the room feel inclusive which some other bands will preach but they don’t really put into practice. The SoapGirls definitely practice what they preach. They welcome all, especially those who feel they don’t belong anywhere. They said as much in between songs from both Millie and Mie.
The Suds that were at the show knew that. The newbies didn’t know what to expect but found themselves new found Suds after the performance. Anyone that’s spent any time with the band knows just how approachable they are, how much they care about their fans, and how generous they are with their time.
It was Sam’s birthday and I happened to be outside earlier when a cake was delivered to the front door. At the end of the gig, the crowd sang Happy Birthday to her as she was on stage with the cake. She was going to throw the cake into the crowd but then grabbed chunks and threw them to those that wanted some instead (yes, I got a good sized chunk from Sam).
Fans lined up at the merch area and both Millie and Mie talked extensively with each person. I took a swig of Millie’s whiskey (the Metallica Blackened label instead of JD) once I got up to the table. I also picked up the latest CD as I had already purchased the other three releases years ago. The club was trying to get everyone outside so they could clean/close up for the night. I’d say we were all outside by midnight or so. A group that was like 15-20 that decided to hang around outside. That group slowly shrunk as it got later and later into the night/morning. Fans had questions, some of the opening band members were hanging out, and it was just fun listening to Millie, Mie, Sam, Jacob, and everyone else that was there. A good time was had by all.
The band did a slo-mo video for social media - with about 8 to 10 of us that remained at 2 am. As each group left, I stayed to get a few videos done for socials, including a shout out video that Millie wanted to do for my mum when she found out she was a fan (she appreciated that very much btw).
I said my goodbyes or "see you laters" to everyone and got back to my car at 2:30am. A late night for sure but it was one incredible experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
The band has more dates on this tour in the US before they head over to the UK and Europe. Whatever you do - don’t miss them when they come to your town. I’m looking forward to their return to Seattle soon!
Thank you Millie, Mie, Sam, and Jacob!
Best,
Mark Sugiyama
Eclectic Arts Media
Connect with Eclectic Arts Media: Social Media and Email Links
The SoapGirls
Funhouse Seattle
Seattle, WA
July 25, 2026
(phone photos - Mark Sugiyama - Eclectic Arts Media)
EAM Promo from Seattle, WA at 2:15am on 7/25/26
Hello all. Here I am again doing a write up when I’m not required to do so. I attended the show on Saturday the 25th as a fan of the SoapGirls. These are just my quick observations of the event.
The band first made their way to Seattle last year in 2025 but I was at another show in a different city. I distinctly remember when I saw that they were finally coming to Seattle. Then I saw the date and I was like, “noooooooooo”! As luck would have it, the band announced new dates for 2026 and Seattle was on the itinerary. I wasn’t about to miss them this time.
A quick background.
I first heard of the band some time after 2015 through the Doyle (band) camp. It was either singer Alex (from Cancerslug and Doyle) or Richie (tour manager for Doyle at the time) that mentioned this great band that they met at, I think, a festival appearance. I looked into them and liked what I saw and heard. Fast forward there was talk of them joining a bill here in the US for the first time in 2019 I believe. That didn’t materialize but it was on the books for 2020. And we all know what happened that year.
So, as I sat at home in 2020, I reached out to the band about doing a written interview (link at the end of this report). I then found myself on a virtual tour with the band AL1CE from LA. I was opening their virtual tour with guest interviews. This was a great learning experience for me and I continued scheduling virtual interviews on my own in between the legs of the AL1CE tour.
In October of 2020, I conducted my first livestream interview with Millie and Mie. We had a great, lengthy discussion, with Sam making an appearance as well. The interview was like no others that I had conducted up until that point. I asked the band offline about doing a follow up and they agreed. So, we did more livestream interviews in November, December, January, and February of 2020 and 2021.
At that point, they were busy with things opening back up so we decided to just play any future interviews by ear.
We reconnected in September of 2024 for a brand new livestream interview (our 6th overall) which turned out to be great fun. The band had already played some gigs in the US the year before and we’re scheduled to play some in 2024 before things didn’t work out. Then they came back in 2025 and you know the rest.
We did over 14 hours of livestream interview conversation - a record no other artist holds that I’ve interviewed.
I also wrote a few journal style entries back in 2020 as well. So, overall, I’ve always enjoyed the band and all of our conversations. But, seeing them live was a whole other experience.
The show.
The band first made their way to Seattle last year in 2025 but I was at another show in a different city. I distinctly remember when I saw that they were finally coming to Seattle. Then I saw the date and I was like, “noooooooooo”! As luck would have it, the band announced new dates for 2026 and Seattle was on the itinerary. I wasn’t about to miss them this time.
A quick background.
I first heard of the band some time after 2015 through the Doyle (band) camp. It was either singer Alex (from Cancerslug and Doyle) or Richie (tour manager for Doyle at the time) that mentioned this great band that they met at, I think, a festival appearance. I looked into them and liked what I saw and heard. Fast forward there was talk of them joining a bill here in the US for the first time in 2019 I believe. That didn’t materialize but it was on the books for 2020. And we all know what happened that year.
So, as I sat at home in 2020, I reached out to the band about doing a written interview (link at the end of this report). I then found myself on a virtual tour with the band AL1CE from LA. I was opening their virtual tour with guest interviews. This was a great learning experience for me and I continued scheduling virtual interviews on my own in between the legs of the AL1CE tour.
In October of 2020, I conducted my first livestream interview with Millie and Mie. We had a great, lengthy discussion, with Sam making an appearance as well. The interview was like no others that I had conducted up until that point. I asked the band offline about doing a follow up and they agreed. So, we did more livestream interviews in November, December, January, and February of 2020 and 2021.
At that point, they were busy with things opening back up so we decided to just play any future interviews by ear.
We reconnected in September of 2024 for a brand new livestream interview (our 6th overall) which turned out to be great fun. The band had already played some gigs in the US the year before and we’re scheduled to play some in 2024 before things didn’t work out. Then they came back in 2025 and you know the rest.
We did over 14 hours of livestream interview conversation - a record no other artist holds that I’ve interviewed.
I also wrote a few journal style entries back in 2020 as well. So, overall, I’ve always enjoyed the band and all of our conversations. But, seeing them live was a whole other experience.
The show.
(phone photos - Mark Sugiyama - Eclectic Arts Media)
I arrived at the venue around 7:30pm or so. I saw Mie but she was talking with two fans at the merch table so I then poked my head into the green room (I’ve covered many shows at this venue). Millie saw me and, her bruised ribs be damned, she hugged me as hard as she possibly could. We talked and it’s always super cool yet surreal anytime I meet a guest in person after having done virtual interviews with them. It’s like we know each other but we kinda don’t. It was great to meet her, and then Sam, and then Mie in the green room. I guess the best way to describe it is if you’re a fan of an actor that you’ve seen in many movies, and then - boom - there they are standing in front of you. The only difference is the actor knows you as well. A full circle moment for sure for all of us. Now, if we ever do a future livestream interview - we can talk about things that happened first hand here in Seattle (and beyond on this current US tour).
I spoke with Sam a bit outside the venue a few times as I was getting air out there more often than staying inside the club during the openers sets (nothing personal opening bands). There was also a show going on next door (there are two stages where they played) so I was bopping over there to check out those bands as well. I actually ran into a Cancerslug friend that I hadn’t seen in four years over on the other side. It gave me a chance to talk up the SoapGirls as she wasn’t familiar with them.
The band came on after 10:15pm and had a cut off at 11:30pm (or so).
I told Millie and Sam this - what struck me about the gig last Saturday was just how heavy the band sounds on certain songs. I’ve been going to shows since I was 9 years old so I know the difference between a live show and any other way of watching/listening to a band. I knew the energy would be there, the Suds in Seattle definitely helped with that. I knew Millie would be doing her backbends, Mie would be jumping up and down as she played her guitar, and we were fortunate that we got a great drummer in Jacob as well.
The musicianship really came through in the live setting, particularly Millie’s bass and the harmonized vocals from both Millie and Mie. They’ve been doing this for a long time now, both live concerts and livestream performances. Bands that constantly play live only get better with every performance and the SoapGirls showed that they are road queens. And, as I mentioned, Jacob was a great drummer - both as a musician and as a person. The band all said how happy they were with him to me on separate occasions but unfortunately he had another obligation so Seattle was his last gig with the band on this tour.
They have an infectious quality to them and I’ve known this without having seen them live before. Their personalities, their humor, and their outlook on life is something I related to from the first conversation we ever had. In the live setting it was the same yet also different in some ways.
They are a band to be reckoned with live. They make the room feel inclusive which some other bands will preach but they don’t really put into practice. The SoapGirls definitely practice what they preach. They welcome all, especially those who feel they don’t belong anywhere. They said as much in between songs from both Millie and Mie.
The Suds that were at the show knew that. The newbies didn’t know what to expect but found themselves new found Suds after the performance. Anyone that’s spent any time with the band knows just how approachable they are, how much they care about their fans, and how generous they are with their time.
It was Sam’s birthday and I happened to be outside earlier when a cake was delivered to the front door. At the end of the gig, the crowd sang Happy Birthday to her as she was on stage with the cake. She was going to throw the cake into the crowd but then grabbed chunks and threw them to those that wanted some instead (yes, I got a good sized chunk from Sam).
(phone photos - Mark Sugiyama - Eclectic Arts Media)
Fans lined up at the merch area and both Millie and Mie talked extensively with each person. I took a swig of Millie’s whiskey (the Metallica Blackened label instead of JD) once I got up to the table. I also picked up the latest CD as I had already purchased the other three releases years ago. The club was trying to get everyone outside so they could clean/close up for the night. I’d say we were all outside by midnight or so. A group that was like 15-20 that decided to hang around outside. That group slowly shrunk as it got later and later into the night/morning. Fans had questions, some of the opening band members were hanging out, and it was just fun listening to Millie, Mie, Sam, Jacob, and everyone else that was there. A good time was had by all.
The band did a slo-mo video for social media - with about 8 to 10 of us that remained at 2 am. As each group left, I stayed to get a few videos done for socials, including a shout out video that Millie wanted to do for my mum when she found out she was a fan (she appreciated that very much btw).
I said my goodbyes or "see you laters" to everyone and got back to my car at 2:30am. A late night for sure but it was one incredible experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
The band has more dates on this tour in the US before they head over to the UK and Europe. Whatever you do - don’t miss them when they come to your town. I’m looking forward to their return to Seattle soon!
Thank you Millie, Mie, Sam, and Jacob!
Best,
Mark Sugiyama
Eclectic Arts Media
Connect with Eclectic Arts Media: Social Media and Email Links
(phone photos - Mark Sugiyama - Eclectic Arts Media)


Comments
Post a Comment