BROADWAY AT THE PARAMOUNT Alicia Keys' HELL'S KITCHEN July 21 - July 26, 2026 Review
ALICIA KEYS’ HELL’S KITCHEN
Music and Lyrics by Alicia Keys
Book by Kristoffer Diaz
Choreography by Camille A. Brown
Directed by Michael Greif
Premera Blue Cross Presents Broadway At The Paramount
Paramount Theatre
Seattle, WA
Tuesday July 21, 2026 - Media Night
The cherry on top of the 2025/2026 Broadway at the Paramount season opened last night in Seattle, WA. Alicia Keys’ Hell’s Kitchen came to town for the very first time. The broadway version had just closed earlier this year so the touring version is the only way to see the national production of the show.
Based on an early time period in Alicia Keys’ life (high school age), the musical was divided into three different categories for me. First the best category.
The music - both the hits and new songs - were spectacular. While many in attendance were Alicia Keys fans, while I know of her, I really don’t know her music all that well. I may have to rectify that after hearing the songs last night. The strength of the songs was only elevated by the performances of each tune.
Maya Drake (as Ali - a 17 year old Alicia Keys) was superb in the role. It was hard to believe that she just graduated from high school this year (in real life). She led the ensemble with the talent and poise of a seasoned veteran.
Kennedy Caughell (as Jersey - Ali’s mom) also showed off her vocal prowess several times throughout the show. She made sure that everyone took notice of her talent for sure.
Roz White (as Miss Liza Jane) was the whole package. Her voice, acting, and stage presence made her the perfect piano and voice role model for a young Ali.
My favorite voice of the night went to Desmond Sean Ellington (as Davis - Ali’s father who doesn’t live with the family). His voice was just dare I say heavenly. Such a powerful, emotive, and smooth singer. My goodness - he arguably was one of the best voices I’ve ever reviewed in a musical at the Paramount Theatre. Yes, he was that good!
The second category for me would be the choreography. I’ll be honest - I was rather indifferent to it. A mix of modern and hip hop, it wasn’t bad but it wasn’t necessarily good either. As someone that’s worked with, interviewed, and reviewed dancers from many different disciplines, I don’t think I’m too far off the mark with saying the choreography was somewhere in the middle if I had to rate it.
The third category needs improvement from me. The book for the show (story). I know this is about Alicia Keys life as a 17 year old. But, the story felt like something that could have been told in thirty minutes, dragged out into a two hour plus show. I would have much preferred to see her rise to stardom, or perhaps ending with the release of her debut album or something similar. While the storylines were relatable in some ways, it just felt like filler after a while to me. Considering the pedigree of Kristoffer Diaz, I expected more.
Overall, due to the strength of the music and the performers, the show was above average for sure. It also goes without saying that it’s always a pleasure to see a majority cast of people of color on stage.
In closing, I enjoyed the show. If you know some of Alicia Keys music but are not a diehard fan, I think you’ll enjoy this show. All the diehard fans already have their tickets. And those that are fans of old school musical productions, this one may be a tough sell. But, it could go either way. Leave a comment after your performance. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
“Alica Keys’ Hells Kitchen” plays through July 26, 2026. Purchase tickets: HERE!
Best,
Mark D. Sugiyama
Eclectic Arts Media
Connect With Eclectic Arts Media: Social Media and Email Links
Music and Lyrics by Alicia Keys
Book by Kristoffer Diaz
Choreography by Camille A. Brown
Directed by Michael Greif
Premera Blue Cross Presents Broadway At The Paramount
Paramount Theatre
Seattle, WA
Tuesday July 21, 2026 - Media Night
(Jon Avery Worrell as Knuck and Maya Drake as Ali in the North American Tour of Alicia Keys' Hell's Kitchen. Photo by Marc J Franklin.)
The cherry on top of the 2025/2026 Broadway at the Paramount season opened last night in Seattle, WA. Alicia Keys’ Hell’s Kitchen came to town for the very first time. The broadway version had just closed earlier this year so the touring version is the only way to see the national production of the show.
Based on an early time period in Alicia Keys’ life (high school age), the musical was divided into three different categories for me. First the best category.
The music - both the hits and new songs - were spectacular. While many in attendance were Alicia Keys fans, while I know of her, I really don’t know her music all that well. I may have to rectify that after hearing the songs last night. The strength of the songs was only elevated by the performances of each tune.
Maya Drake (as Ali - a 17 year old Alicia Keys) was superb in the role. It was hard to believe that she just graduated from high school this year (in real life). She led the ensemble with the talent and poise of a seasoned veteran.
Kennedy Caughell (as Jersey - Ali’s mom) also showed off her vocal prowess several times throughout the show. She made sure that everyone took notice of her talent for sure.
Roz White (as Miss Liza Jane) was the whole package. Her voice, acting, and stage presence made her the perfect piano and voice role model for a young Ali.
My favorite voice of the night went to Desmond Sean Ellington (as Davis - Ali’s father who doesn’t live with the family). His voice was just dare I say heavenly. Such a powerful, emotive, and smooth singer. My goodness - he arguably was one of the best voices I’ve ever reviewed in a musical at the Paramount Theatre. Yes, he was that good!
(Kennedy Caughell as Jersey and Maya Drake as Ali in the North American Tour of Alicia Keys' Hell's Kitchen. Photo by Marc J Franklin.)
The second category for me would be the choreography. I’ll be honest - I was rather indifferent to it. A mix of modern and hip hop, it wasn’t bad but it wasn’t necessarily good either. As someone that’s worked with, interviewed, and reviewed dancers from many different disciplines, I don’t think I’m too far off the mark with saying the choreography was somewhere in the middle if I had to rate it.
The third category needs improvement from me. The book for the show (story). I know this is about Alicia Keys life as a 17 year old. But, the story felt like something that could have been told in thirty minutes, dragged out into a two hour plus show. I would have much preferred to see her rise to stardom, or perhaps ending with the release of her debut album or something similar. While the storylines were relatable in some ways, it just felt like filler after a while to me. Considering the pedigree of Kristoffer Diaz, I expected more.
Overall, due to the strength of the music and the performers, the show was above average for sure. It also goes without saying that it’s always a pleasure to see a majority cast of people of color on stage.
In closing, I enjoyed the show. If you know some of Alicia Keys music but are not a diehard fan, I think you’ll enjoy this show. All the diehard fans already have their tickets. And those that are fans of old school musical productions, this one may be a tough sell. But, it could go either way. Leave a comment after your performance. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
“Alica Keys’ Hells Kitchen” plays through July 26, 2026. Purchase tickets: HERE!
Best,
Mark D. Sugiyama
Eclectic Arts Media
Connect With Eclectic Arts Media: Social Media and Email Links
(Maya Drake as Ali and the company of the North American Tour of Alicia Keys' Hell's Kitchen. Photo by Marc J Franklin.)





Comments
Post a Comment