Village Theatre Everett THE FANTASTICKS April 27 through May 19, 2024 Review

THE FANTASTICKS
Music By: Harvey Schmidt
Book & Lyrics By: Tom Jones
Directed By: Adam Immerwahr

Village Theatre
Everett, WA

Review: 7pm Performance on April 28, 2024


(Village Theatre.  Photo by Auston James)



The new musical “The Fantasticks” opened up at the Everett Village Theatre on Friday April 26th. The longest running musical was sure to bring out old school musical theatre lovers for one of the performances on opening weekend.


Having never seen any version of the musical, I went in with an open mind and curious heart.


I have to say that I found the source material odd. Both Act I and Act II story wise was just a bit bizarre to me. I know that the original run started back in the 1960’s and times were of course different back then. Even so, that didn’t really explain the story of two fathers doing whatever they can to get their two kids to fall in love with one another, including an “abduction” and other assorted scenarios.


Miranda Antoinette as Luisa and Kawika Huston as Matt were fabulous. Their voices (and I admit I’m biased as I’ve seen both in other productions) were a pure joy to listen to. As characters they had a good on stage chemistry and they, along with the other cast members, were the high points of the show. I only wish that they had more stage time and song time during the musical.


The staging and the overall presentation were as solid as one would expect from the Village Theatre. They never disappoint when it comes to the shows and how they’re presented. I always know going into a Village Theatre production that I am going to get a certain high level of quality when it comes to what I’m about to see and hear on stage. That is to be commended.


I’m sure there are many that loved what they saw on Sunday night. Again, I loved what was presented from the Village Theatre side, I just didn’t click with the source material on any level. Perhaps you will. Let me know after you’ve seen a performance.


“The Fantasticks” runs through May 19th.  Purchase tickets:  HERE!


Best,
Mark Sugiyama
Eclectic Arts Media

Connect with Eclectic Arts Media:  Social Media Links and Email Here

Comments

Popular Posts