VIENNA TENG featuring Founders Saint Mark's Episcopal Cathedral October 12, 2024

VIENNA TENG
Featuring Founders

Saint Mark's Episcopal Cathedral
Seattle, WA
Saturday October 12, 2024

(All Photos:  Mark Sugiyama for Eclectic Arts Media (c) 2024)


I started this media outlet (back then it was a fanzine) in 2011. I never in a million years would have imagined what it developed into by 2024. There are so many artists that I have had the pleasure of reviewing, interviewing, and/or photographing.


The very first phone interview I ever conducted was with Vienna Teng in February of 2011. I had just seen her perform live in September of 2010 for the first time. I subsequently interviewed her again in person in 2016 (and reviewed the show as well). I missed a show at the end of the AIMS Tour due to a work issue. Fast forward to 2023 and I was set to do the trifecta at the Triple Door shows that summer. The universe had other plans however and I ended up not being able to make those shows. Fast forward again to last night - October 2024. I finally got to see Vienna Teng perform after an eight year break.


So, for me, she is an artist I hold dear as a running thread throughout the life of Eclectic Arts Media as well as my personal life’s journeys.



 
This was my first time covering a Cathedrals show (put on by the Fremont Abbey Arts folks) but I had known about them since the late two thousand teens. The cathedral is an eye opening space as soon as you walk into it. Massive columns with various lighting to set the mood, this was going to be a perfect venue for Vienna’s music.


The show was broken into two sets - the first with Vienna solo and the second with her new collaborators Founders.


She started off the set with, “Green Island Serenade”- which proved to be a perfect starting number. Performed in voice only, the cathedral acoustics carried her voice throughout the building and truly set the tone for the evening.


The opening set was sprinkled with known and new songs (“We’ve Got You” in three parts). Hearing Vienna’s voice and musicianship instantly brought me back to why I became a fan all those years ago. I know I wasn’t alone as I overheard many fans before the show discussing all of the times they saw Vienna perform in Seattle over the years.


“Level Up” ended the first set before the intermission. Much discussion about the show commenced and my family members all agreed that this was an amazing show thus far.




The second set featured the quartet Founders - of which Vienna is now performing with. This was something I had not seen before. The four musicians were experts at their respective instruments. The music performed ran the gamut of Vienna Teng, Founders, and cover material.


The group worked well together but, and I’m biased, I thought Vienna’s voice really added a new dimension to the group. After a solo encore of, “Land Sailor” and a group encore of, “Black Bird”, the artists took a bow and bid Seattle good night.


The venue really added another layer to the show. Had this show been in any other venue, while it still would have been great, it would have missed the cathedral element (for lack of a better term).


As much as I could appreciate the Founders set of music, I preferred hearing Vienna solo. But, again, I’m biased. I think the response to both sets from the faithful was heartfelt and genuine. Any way you look at it, Vienna Teng featuring Founders was a magical evening of musical artistry.


One can only hope that Vienna Teng returns to the greater Seattle area sooner rather than later.


Best,
Mark Sugiyama
Eclectic Arts Media

Connect with Eclectic Arts Media:  Social Media Links and Email


Many thanks to:  Bob, Michele, Amy, and of course, Vienna.  



Set List Courtesy of Michele S.

Set I

Green Island Serenade
Harbor
Stray Italian Greyhound
The Hymn of Acxiom
The Lost Words Blessing (book written by Robert Macfarlane and Jackie Morris, song by Spell Songs)
We've Got You (Comfort)
We've Got You (Spark)
We've Got You (Two Truths)
Anna Rose
Level Up

Set II

In Another Life
Alone (Maya Angelou/arr. Brandon Ridenour)
The Hunt (Ben Russell)
Scheherazade (Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov/arr. Brandon Ridenour)
Fives Alive (Andrew Gutauskas)
Transcontinental, 1:30 a.m.
Two Steps From The Blues (Bobby Bland/arr. Ben Russell)
Grandmother Song

Encores:

Landsailor (solo)
Blackbird (Lennon–McCartney) - w/Founders

















(All Photos:  Mark Sugiyama for Eclectic Arts Media (c) 2024)

Comments

Popular Posts