THE BOOK CLUB PLAY Village Theatre April 9, 2022 Eclectic Arts

THE BOOK CLUB PLAY
By Karen Zacarías
Directed by Arlene Martínez-Vázquez and Jéhan Òsanyìn

Village Theatre
Everett, WA

Opening Weekend Review: 8pm Performance on April 9, 2022


(The Ensemble of Village Theatre’s production of The Book Club Play. Photo by Gabriel Corey.)



I was happy to finally be back at the Village Theatre Everett for their new production, “The Book Club Play”. The last (but not least - it just worked out that way) on my list of theatres to return to in-person after the pandemic was a real treat.


I always enjoy seeing actors that I’ve seen in other productions around town and “The Book Club Play '' had at least two actors whose work I enjoyed previously.


With the premise revolving around a small book club and the lives of each member, “The Book Club Play” was advertised as a smart comedy.


Act I started off rather slow. The dialogue and humor were odd at best and it took a long while for me to warm up to any of the initial characters. By the time Arlando Smith’s character arrived, that’s when things took a turn for the better. The banter between all six actors was witty and the chemistry started to develop between the characters.


Act II continued the ups and downs of the characters and then turned into a more serious affair to end the show, not including the epilogue. As always I don’t like to give away too much of the plot in any of my reviews.


The cast was strong across the board and there were no weak links whatsoever. The lighting, staging, wardrobe, etc. were all of the high quality I’ve come to expect from the Village Theatre. The show overall was enjoyable and it definitely had its moments but it didn’t quite resonate with me like I hoped it would. Considering that it was an exceptionally produced show, I was hoping I would be raving about it and telling everyone I know to go see it. Instead, I left somewhat satisfied but also a little empty as well, if I’m being honest.


Perhaps you’ll have a different viewpoint after you see it.


“The Book Club Play” runs through May 1st. Tickets are available here:  TICKETS!


Best,
Mark Sugiyama
Eclectic Arts

Connect with Eclectic Arts:  Social Media Links Here

Comments

Popular Posts