Kent Stowell's SWAN LAKE Pacific Northwest Ballet 4/16/2022 Eclectic Arts

Kent Stowell’s Swan Lake
Pacific Northwest Ballet
McCaw Hall
Seattle, WA

Review: Saturday 4/16/22 7:30 pm Performance

Performances run through Sunday April 24th.  Purchase tickets:  HERE!


(Pacific Northwest Ballet)


The classical full length ballet productions at the Pacific Northwest Ballet have each been uniquely satisfying. For someone like myself that hasn’t seen earlier “repeat” productions (yet) of the full lengths, each of them are new and exciting to me.


“Kent Stowell’s Swan Lake” was high on my list of ballet productions to see as it’s one that I had heard about, even before I started reviewing the PNB events.


The ever popular story of true love, broken trust, and eventual sorrow has been captivating audiences for decades.


With the show divided into four acts with two intermissions, the audience on Saturday evening was more than ready for the performance to begin.


In the lead roles of Odette/Odile was Elizabeth Murphy and Prince Sigfried was portrayed by Lucien Postlewaite.



Pacific Northwest Ballet principal dancers Elizabeth Murphy and Lucien Postlewaite with company dancers in Kent Stowell’s Swan Lake, on stage April 15 – 24, and streaming digitally May 12 – 16, 2022. Photo © Angela Sterling.



The production is one where all the stops are pulled out. From the sheer number of dancers that are utilized at any given point to the grandness of the costumes and set design, the show was engaging from the opening sequence to the last.


Having watched snippets online from older productions, I was happy to recognize some of the movements as soon as they started. Of course being there in-person added so much more to the experience but it was a bit like putting together a half finished puzzle as each act unfolded.


I actually crossed Mercer Street before the performance - and walked behind Ezra Thomson and his wife Sarah Pasch, who were talking to another PNB dancer. It was a little surreal seeing Ezra on stage an hour or so later in the role of Wolfgang, having just seen him in street clothes earlier.


I mention this as my journey with the Pacific Northwest Ballet started in November of 2018. Now having seen my fair share of both full lengths and mixed bills, it’s interesting to see how my taste for one over the other really hasn’t changed in that time.


Performances like “Kent Stowell’s Swan Lake” emphasize the long history and tradition of ballet. I believe that’s why I gravitate to them more than the mixed bills. Having said that, the more I learn about the art form, the more I’m coming to appreciate the mixed bills, too.


“Kent Stowell’s Swan Lake” really is a wonderful experience, one that I wish more once a year PNB ticket buyers would partake in. I’m always looking at the performances from the eye of the non subscriber. What show would be that transition show to get the holiday PNB patron to become a two time a year patron (or more, of course)?


Outside of its runtime, “Ken Stowell’s Swan Lake” could be that missing link show. I believe “A Midsummer Night’s Dream (which is back as a part of the upcoming 2022-2023 season) is another solid candidate.


Do yourself a favor and check out one of the performances of “Kent Stowell’s Swan Lake”. It is a beautiful example of everything the Pacific Northwest Ballet does for the ballet community, the local community, and the arts community in the greater Seattle area.


Best,
Mark Sugiyama
Eclectic Arts

Connect with Eclectic Arts:  Social Media Links Here

Comments

Popular Posts