TAPROOT THEATRE "Conscience" September 16 through October 17, 2026 Review

CONSCIENCE

By Joe DiPietro
Directed by Karen Lund
Taproot Theatre Company
Seattle, WA

September 16 - October 17, 2026

(Christopher Clark as William Lewis Jr., Alyssa Keene as Sen. Margaret Chase Smith, Jonathan Swindle as Sen. Joe McCarthy, and Kelly Karcher as Jean Kerr in Taproot's production of Conscience (September 2026). Photo by Robert Wade.)


There have been a few times in recent years where something that was going on in my personal/professional life was also something that was the basis of a show I was attending and/or reviewing. Any time this has happened, it’s made me wonder about my situation and the show in question. The parallels and more importantly the timing of the circumstances always made me wonder.


“Conscience” is the latest show at Taproot Theatre with a political storyline from the 1950’s following Senator Joseph McCarthy and Senator Margaret Chase Smith.


The performances from all four actors were absolutely superb. Having seen three of the four actors in previous shows around town, including at Taproot Theatre, I was confident about the performances they would give. However, how would the story hold up?


It was almost triggering at times if I’m being honest. The frustration, the anger, and helplessness throughout the story were beyond relatable. I can also say that the hope, the re-evaluating of values, and the conviction throughout the story was even more relatable.


One of the worst feelings in the world for me is when I’m accused of something that I am 100% not guilty of. With factual evidence to back up my claim, it still grinds my gears when I have to stand up for myself in a situation that shouldn’t even be an issue. Yet, recently, without going into detail, that’s what I found myself having to do. My situation will resolve itself. I am confident of that fact.


The issues at hand in “Conscience”, however, will parallel what our great nation is going through in 2026. The striking difference is that one is with a senator and one is with the leader of the country. So, are we better off than we were in 1950? Are we worse off? You be the judge.


For some reading this, regardless of what side of the aisle you fall on, you may be thinking this doesn’t sound like a show you’d want to see. I understand that as on any given day I’m weary of the world we currently live in. The last thing I want to do is hear more about politics, the government, and our elected officials. But, I implore you to see this show for what it presents and the gentle and not so gentle reminders about what values we hold as people, not only in America, but around the world.


”Conscience” is now playing through October 17th. Tickets are available:  HERE!


Best,
Mark Sugiyama
Eclectic Arts Media

Connect with Eclectic Arts Media:  Social Media and Email Links


(Christopher Clark as William Lewis Jr., Jonathan Swindle as Sen. Joe McCarthy, and Alyssa Keene as Sen. Margaret Chase Smith in Taproot's production of Conscience (September 2026). Photo by Robert Wade.)


Comments

Popular Posts