Endless Nightwish Most Beautiful - NIGHTWISH, SONATA ARCTICA, and DELAIN Review! 3/7/16



Nightwish
Sonata Arctica
Delain

The Showbox SoDo
Seattle, WA
March 7, 2016

 
This was the third show in three nights for me.  When I think back over the thirty years of gigs I've been to, I don't believe I've ever gone to three shows back to back to back.  From Cannibal Corpse on Saturday to Kill Ritual on Sunday to …


I saw Nightwish back in the Tarja years on the "Once" mini tour here in the U.S.  I was never sold on the Annette version of the band.  This was a shame as I was really into the band before Tarja's "departure".  Of course, everyone knows the Floor Jansen story - three and a half years ago she made her stage debut with the band here in Seattle, WA at the very same club. 

I remember reading online about her debut - that's when I got excited again about Nightwish.  I saw the band last year on the first leg of the U.S. "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" tour in Portland, OR.  Funny enough - months earlier Delain was playing here with Sonata Arctica and all the pre-gig talk amongst the fans was which city are you traveling to to see the Nightwish gig in 2015.  It was either north to Vancouver, BC, east to Spokane, WA, or south to Portland, OR as there was no Seattle gig on the itinerary.

And here we are in 2016 and Nightwish return with both Sonata Arctica and Delain in tow.  I had spent week's earlier securing guest list passes and video interview opportunities with both Nightwish and Delain.

As the day of the gig approached, I was informed that Nightwish had to cancel any media interviews.  I was bummed but not too much as I knew I still had the interview with Charlotte from Delain scheduled.  The day of the gig, I found out Charlotte was dealing with a cold.  Initially I thought I was out both interviews but as I read her text further, I found out Martijn offered to step in and do the video interview.  Yes!


I'd like to send a quick thanks to Kristen at NuclearBlast USA and to Jon at Napalm USA for securing the passes and the opportunities for me.  It is much appreciated!


I've seen Delain three times previously.  Basically, any tour they do of the U.S., I go see them.  Delain in the U.S. equals Mark at the show.  Done.


The band released an EP to coincide with the tour, "Lunar Prelude".  The band launched into an eight song set starting with the latest single, "Suckerpunch".  "Get The Devil Out Of Me" came up next.  A special treat (well about 50% of the time according to Martijn - see the video interview) came in the form of Marco from Nightwish joining the band for "Sing To Me". 


The band was energetic as ever - a five piece on this tour (Merel (guitar) joined the band months ago but Otto (bass) was home awaiting the birth of his child), the Seattle crowd was way into the band.  With all the touring Delain is doing, I'm sure every city in the U.S. they've played is growing and expanding, too, just like here in Seattle.

  
While I always want to hear a longer set, the fact that their set ended meant I was going to need to get ready for my video interview with Martijn soon.  I was stoked!  


Sonata Arctica were up next.  Playing their brand of Finnish power metal, their short seven-song set was well received.  It was hard to tell who had the better crowd response - Delain or Sonata.  I was in two different parts of the club (front for Delain, back for Sonata) so I'm not really sure.  I was half distracted, as the time grew closer to leave the venue to board the Band Wagon and interview Martijn.  Instead of going into all the details, I'll let the video do the talking.   

View the video interview here:

  
On a high after the interview, I needed to get back inside to get to the photo pit to capture Nightwish!


As the lights went down and Hans Zimmer blared over the PA, the spoken word intro introduced "Shudder Before the Beautiful" and the band was off and running!


Playing much of the same set list as a year ago, there were some noticeable changes - "Wishmaster" for me was a welcome surprise.  Keeping "Stargazers" in the set from the last tour also made me smile.


Apparently Floor was also suffering from illness but you couldn't tell from her performance.  The band was inspired as always.  Playing nearly two hours, as the last notes of "The Greatest Show On Earth" played, and the band took their customary bow, I realized I may not see Nightwish back in these parts for three or more years. 


Much like the Cannibal Corpse bill on Saturday, the Nightwish bill was strong from beginning to end.  No weak links, the crowd was enthusiastic but polite (customary for these types of shows apparently), and everyone had a great time!







Members of Delain came back into the venue after the show to meet and talk with fans.  It's those little things that go a long way with making that personal connection with your fan base and creating new fans.  More bands should take note of this.  Planting seeds folks.  Planting seeds for the eventual headlining tour.  



MISC:

While I have been a model-based photographer for over ten years, event/concert photography is a new beast to me.  I'm still getting used to being in a photo pit with folks that have shot hundreds of shows, let alone learning how to take a decent concert photo.

Having said that, I think the photos in this review are a good start.  You feel like you're there at the show and that's what's most important to me.  I hope you enjoy them!

Cheers!
Mark
EA



Comments

Popular Posts