A Cannibal Domain - CANNIBAL CORPSE, OBITUARY, CRYPTOPSY, and ABYSMAL DAWN - 3/5/16



Cannibal Corpse
Obituary
Cryptopsy
Abysmal Dawn

El Corazon
Seattle, WA
March 5, 2016



Life can be a funny thing.  About a year prior, I was all set to see Cannibal Corpse with Behemoth.  Unfortunately, I lost my job earlier that month so I had to make a decision between seeing that gig or seeing Cancerslug.  Since this was Cancerslug's first visit to Seattle, and they do it old school by driving themselves in a van to every show, I opted for the ladder gig.  I hated having to choose between equally awesome gigs but I was broke so I did what I had to do.

Fast forward about a year later, Cannibal Corpse returned - with one hell of a bill to boot.  I had seen Cannibal Corpse four times back in the early 2000's.  All of those bills had a mix of usually death and black metal type bands.  I remember thinking back then I'd rather see all death or all black metal, not a mix on the same bill.  Well, some wishes cannot be denied - nothing but death metal this time around!

Abysmal Dawn was first up.  Now, many times the first band gets either a non-existent reaction around these parts or by the end they may have won the crowd over.  As soon as AD launched into their opener, the pit broke out and never let up for the entire four-band night.

While the music of the American four piece was strong, their drummer really showed me something.  Tight, creative, and punishing would be the adjectives I'd use to describe his drum work.  Inspired stuff!

The Seattle crowd was most definitely into AD's brand of American death metal.  They did a fantastic job of warming the crowd up.

Next up - Cryptopsy!

There are many metal bands that I know of but don't really know that well.  Cryptopsy fit the bill.  I knew they were a Canadian technical death metal band that had been around since the late 80's.  I knew that Flo was widely regarded as a standout drummer in the death metal scene.  Outside of that, I knew nothing and I'd be the first one to admit it.

While their music was certainly different than Abysmal Dawn, they were no less fierce with their attack.  The musicianship was on another level for sure.  There was no mistaking that Flo is one hell of a drummer.  I couldn't stop watching his drumming all through their (much too short) 30 minute set. 

Crazy pit frenzy, hot ass club that smelled of wet soaked ass (it was raining outside - rain in Seattle, go figure), Cryptopsy were just building upon the work that AD laid down earlier in the night. 

Next up - Obituary!

I was stoked to see Obituary for the first time - yeah, I know, I'm lame.  One of the pioneers of American death metal, I was ready to hear the original voice of John Tardy alongside those down-tuned guitars that churn out riffs of thrash influenced death metal.  And man the band did not disappoint.

The pit was in overdrive as Obituary stomped their way through a set of old and new.  Epic parts where you can't help but bang the shit out of your head, the boys delivered their brand of death metal in fine form. 

Bands that have been around as long as Cryptopsy, Obituary, and Cannibal Corpse, make it look easy.  But we all know after the thousands of gigs they've done over the years, they've worked to get to where they are these days.  Dues paid, tours completed, and now they can get up there and show all the younger bands how it's done.


Next up - Cannibal Corpse!

I was excited to see how Cannibal Corpse faired after three pulverizing sets to open the show.  It had been twelve years since I last saw them - ironically the last time was at the very same club. 

CC is like AC/DC to me.  You go to the gig knowing exactly what you're going to get.  They don't deviate, they don't change for change's sake, they do what they do best and leave all pretenders in the dust.


Blasting through a sixteen-song set starting with "Evisceration Plague", the band hasn't let up one fucking bit!  Playing at least one song from almost every album, including their latest release from 2014, "A Skeletal Domain", the band were as punishing as ever.

Corpsegrinder had his usual fun with the Seattle crowd - talking about his beloved Broncos Super Bowl win.  A chant of "Sea - HAWKS" broke out which he appreciated.  Of course, he then made a tongue in cheek remark about firing up the chainsaws and taking them to Russell Wilson's head.  All in good fun, the band launched into "Kill or Become" off the new release.


The usual oldies got the pit going into overdrive such as "Stripped, Raped, and Strangled" and "I Cum Blood".  Of course "Hammer Smashed Face" made every one lose their minds.  It was interesting to see that instead of ending the set there, they busted out "Devoured By Vermin" to close the night. 


Jeff Loomis of Arch Enemy was in the house (ex Nevermore) as pointed out by "Babyface" before CC took the stage.

From start to finish, this was one for the books.  No weak links in the lineup, the bands just went from strength to strength, delivering the death metal goods like nobody's business.  A memorable night of pure death metal!

Cheers!
Mark

Thanks to:  Liz C-B for the opportunity!


Comments

Popular Posts